Thursday, January 8, 2009

Going With the Flow

That's my new year's resolution: to go with the flow. That's it. I'm not going to sweat the small stuff, or even the big stuff. I'm going to stop trying to control everything and just sit back, relax and enjoy life. I realized that the harder I hold on to something, the harder I cling to a thought or a notion or an idea or "the way it SHOULD be," the more it eludes me. Then, I get all tight and bunched up, in my body and in other parts of my life, and I don't want to do that any more. I'm just going to take it day by day and see what happens.

I love the beginning of a new year. New lists and journals and calendars. Starting over, starting fresh. It feels so great! I know I'll probably abandon half of the new lists and journals, and it's okay. It's the starting over that feels so great.

So... let's talk about knitting! Here are some mittens I knit for my aunt, to go with the scarf I knit her last year. They are knit in Berroco Foliage, which is sort of thick and thin and loosely spun, very rustic, with beautiful and gradual color changes. I love the yarn.


Here is a scarf I knit (now finished) (needs to be blocked) of my own design... sort of. I used the "Little Arrowhead Lace" pattern from the first Barbara Walker treasury and added edging stitches. You can't see the design very well unblocked, but it's pretty. The yarn is Nashua Geologie, another yarn that is all about the gradual and beautiful color changes. I only used one skein and I hope it will block out long enough.


Finally, I bought the yarn for ANOTHER sweater. This one is IT, I just know it!!! It's going to fit in the shoulders and chest, the sleeves will be the perfect length, the yarn won't be too heavy or too hot or too itchy... PERFECT!! I bought Cascade 220 Tweed, in a dark charcoal color (much darker than it looks in the photo!). I've started knitting and... so far, so good!!


I do have a pair of socks in my queue, this time for Mike! He loves to wear his leather flip flops, regardless of the weather, except when it is just too cold. I'm going to knit him a pair of Tabi socks; you know, the socks that actually have a pocket for your big toe, and then another one for the rest of your toes, so you can wear them with flip flops!! He swears he will wear them, but... if you know Mike, you know that it's a gamble on my part! I think they'll be fun to knit, though, and if he won't wear them, I just might!

No comments: