Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Day 3: Noodle Arm Day

This morning, my arms hurt in every single direction. Out to the side, overhead, back, arms straight, arms bent, across the chest... yup, they all hurt. My legs feel like I've run many, many miles. Isn't yoga great?

Okay, I'm still popping up early in the morning, excited to see what's in store for us at yoga! Perhaps "popping up" is a bit of an exaggeration, considering the condition of my body, but I am still eager! This morning began with 2 hours of yoga asana with Max. We learned some new breathing exercises, reviewed the asana from yesterday, added new ones. We learned new tips and teaching techniques, ways to work smarter in each pose.

The best part of this workshop has been meeting the other students. I am surprised by the number of yoga teachers in the class! They teach all over the Kansas City metro area, and beyond. People teach in yoga studios, fitness centers, churches, homes, everywhere! The yoga community here is so diverse. I am getting a real sense of community and connectedness that I have been longing for. I am looking forward to sampling some of these classes around the area.

Yoga people are very genuine. Everyone has been friendly and open and very supportive. It is fun learning where people have trained, who they have studied with, who they like to work with, and about all of their experiences. I feel like I am on the right path in my yoga journey. Everyone has validated my experiences and hopes for the future.

The afternoon session was taught by Jamie, all about anatomy. It is so amazing that the human body is made up of so many different parts, and that we can all be put together just a little bit differently. There are many things that can go wrong, but nearly everything can be corrected or healed, partially or completely, if you are willing to put the time in doing the work. I now have some great references for all sorts of injuries or illnesses! I can't wait to put together a program for myself, working on my back and my hip, and my tight shoulders. I believe that once I see progress in myself, I will be able to help many other people, too. And that's what yoga is all about.

I'm off to bed now, for real!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings!

“The body says what words cannot.”

-Martha Graham, 1985

We express ourselves with our bodies. Our body “language” tells things about us that we cannot hide. Our emotions are broadcast to the world through our posture and our physicality. Our bodies are our instruments – and we can play them with dance and athletics and joy!

-Lissa Coffey

Thought this was appropriate for you today!!!

I am sitting here slumped over the computer....

Barbara